Thursday, March 26, 2009

DAY 6 Pastor Paul's Perspective

Day 6 (incomplete version)
After finally getting to sleep around 2:30 am, after being so wound up after the service AND trying to copy pictures from the camera to the laptop, I got up about 7:20 am to finish packing and get ready for the flight to the Safari. I finished, grabbed a bite of breakfast and we headed to the airport. NOT Nairobi International, but a small airport not far from us, that specializes in Safari drop offs. We had a short delay as they had to split the group up, and then we were on to the plane. An 18 seater if my memory is correct. We flew at an altitude of 10,000 feet. WOW! After take off, looking down, we could see everything. Amazingly not too far from us there were large estates with swimming pools, huge yards, etc… Then everything started to look like doll houses, then we never went any higher and I starting feeling not so great! Some air in the face and closing my eyes helped, but I was sure thankful when we finally landed in the middle of big field about 45 minutes later. We were greeted by The Intrepid Safari Company (got a killer deal btw from what I understand) and zebras. The equator sun was scorching hot. Thank God for Sunscreen 50, that I protested about (oops, hope Paula doesn’t read this)! (By the way, did I tell you how proud I am of Harvest Center’s kids for rocking at State Jr. Talent last Saturday? GO HC!!!) On the 20 - 30 minute jeep ride to our “TENTS” , we saw what appeared to be millions of wild animals! Will have to continue this part when I can get the pics, video and interpreter. When we arrived we were greeted with juice and then I learned to play some African rock/hole game (mancala)? It’s GREAT! After the whole group arrived, we were treated to a lunch buffet. Excellent food. Then we made our way to our tents. You’ll just have to see to believe. Never dreamed I’d be sleeping in a tent in Kenya, Africa, near the Tanzania border!
To name a few, between the ride from the landing strip and the afternoon safari, we have seen zebras, crocodile, hippo, birds (can’t remember names), gazelles, impalas , to fus? , buffalo, bush babies, lions, (one group saw a lion in a tree! I still wonder if they pulled that pic off the internet lol), giraffes and a host of friends. I am hearing something howling now and not sure that I even want to know what it is!!! Our electricity is on from 5am-4pm, and 6pm-midnight. I am thankful for the wind up radio and flash light! We have hot water from 5:30-8am & 5:30-8pm.
Supper was good, we saw a Masai native dance that I didn’t get on video. I was hoping they would sing Happy Birthday to Lynda Martin and join all the others who have, as she gets ready to celebrate tomorrow. Listening to the crickets chirp, frogs do what they do, and whatever other creatures are outside our tent doing what they do?
Gonna try to get in bed before lights out (brings back memories from camp- maybe we just need to pull the plug and be sure its lights out ha ha). Will complete this soon I hope. And congrats to Sam & Tori on the new baby girl! Can’t wait to see and hold her!

No comments:

Post a Comment